Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Vampire Diaries trumps Twilight Saga

Okay, I admit I was skeptical for the past few years of this whole vampire slash wolf mania that has captivated the minds of many girls and women alike. But I guess I've kind of been sucked in...a bit. I didn't see what the big deal was. I was in college when the Twilight Saga movies and such were coming out. I was too busy to care or know what in the world Twilight was about. I honestly had no idea the series was about vampires versus wolves, seeing as the covers of the books are a chess piece, a ribbon, and other misleading cover art.

I guess I still don't see what makes vampires attractive, but boy do they know how to pick some HOT, drool-worthy guys to play them onscreen. Now Robert Pattinson I wasn't a fan of until I saw his movie Remember Me. It was definitely not Twilight that got me into him. I don't find the super paleness attractive, regardless of his sharp and sculpted face. Actually, I tried to watch Twilight again a few weeks ago and couldn't get myself past the first five minutes -- I was bored. And what's worse is that I'm trying to get through Eclipse and have been for the past 8 or 9 months. I'm getting there, but definitely not engaged or intrigued. What makes Twilight so cute is that Robert Pattinson and Kristin Stewart are dating in real life. I mean you can't get much more real life than that.

cr: google

And because I just have had a lot of downtime lately, I started The Vampire Diaries. Now, while I started it, I couldn't get through the first few episodes without thinking that I was bandwagon-ing onto the vampire carriage just because everyone else was. It took me a few months to start season 1 again after my initial viewing. However, still, it isn't the vampires that I find attractive. Rather they are the actors that portray the vampires that are so delicious for my eyes -- Paul Wesley and Ian Somerhalder. These guys are pretty epic in their handsomeness. You forget things like how "evil" Ian's character Damon is because you are awestruck my his gorgeous blue eyes and his nice build. And I'm surprised I'm saying this myself, but I have found the storyline to The Vampire Diaries more appealing and engaging as compared to that of the Twilight saga. 
cr: google/the CW

And aside from the distracting beauty of the males, I have to hand it to Nina Dobrev for being a better actress than Kristen Stewart. Actually, I am surprised that Dobrev is a year older than Stewart because Stewart's personality and presence makes her seem a lot older than Dobrev. She definitely needs to loosen up a little, Pattinson should get on that. 

Then there is also the "past" that is often revisited in both storylines. In each, it has been about 100-150 years since they have been locked in their age and been doomed to live forever as vampires. I can't say one does better than the other in this sense because all the characters seem out of place in corsets and top hats. But again, I have to say the Vampire Diaries does a better job of tuning in to the past since the origin of the story is based on the history of the Salvatore brothers. 

So all in all, I definitely give more props to The Vampire Diaries for shining through past the overpowering and abundance of Twilight love. There is definitely a lot more content to the Salvatore brothers than there are to the Cullens, at least for me. So The Vampire Diaries trumps the Twilight sagaAnd yes, I have caught vampire fever, in a sense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment