Sunday, September 16, 2012

PSY/GANGNAM STYLE CRAZE


I cannot be more proud of the progress of K-POP. The sudden explosion of it is something that I've been waiting to see since I saw it's potential as a teenager back in 2003. It was the beginning of a monumental change in my life, not only from a point of music but obtaining a better understanding of myself and my own culture. That being said, I will be honest and say that I did favor a few artists and hoped that some would break through the American market to reach worldwide stardom. PSY was the last person that I would have ever guessed that would be the act to do it. Nonetheless, I am so proud. Of his accomplishments and what this means for K-Pop. 

Why am I happy that PSY was the one to break through the barriers and flood what K-Pop industry officials have been trying to break for years? First of all, he does not fit the general K-Pop stereotype, in many aspects -- appearance, style, song content, dance, age, and more. Second, he has been at it for a long time and is loved by a large and loyal fanbase, not one that would necessarily be followed by typical, non-Korean K-pop followers. Third, PSY is able to communicate in English proficiently, this is something I feel is KEY to attempting to breakthrough this kind of market. Lastly, because he is under the management of YG Entertainment, my favorite record label in Korea. This label, I believe, has best served their artists and manages to cater to the artists' artistic, personal, and style desires and needs better than any other company in Korea. 

I longed for the day that I would see K-Pop on TV. This past week, I have seen, beyond belief, more of PSY and K-Pop than I would have ever imagined seeing at this point in time. It has been amazing. PSY at the MTV VMA's, on The Ellen Show, The Today Show, and even Saturday Night Live. This phenomenon is something that I'm glad I could see for myself. I know this could all blow over after one explosive hit, but I hope it also opens doors for other respectable and talented Korean artists to cross borders and be appreciated at new lengths. 

190,600,293 HITS AND COUNTING! LET THE CRAZE CONTINUE! GANGNAM STYLE!

No comments:

Post a Comment